What are your emotions doing for you? Are they helping you to create the life you want or are they creating pain in your life? There is emotional maturity and there is mental strength and there is emotional strength. In order to be successful and even more importantly in order to be happy, we need to understand that emotional strength impacts everything.
Since our emotions dictate our mental and physical wellbeing and they are the foundation for our actions, our mental strength is invaluable. Our emotions motivate us and the issue is that they can motivate us positively or negatively. People who possess emotional strength avoid many of the actions and reactions that the emotionally weak do not avoid.
People with emotional strength have the following abilities and qualities:
- They do not let others bring them down because they are resilient. They can separate their emotions from those in their lives who await the opportunity to watch them fail.
- They do not hold grudges. They are capable of forgiveness and they don’t waste their time or their mental energy focusing on the negativity of others.
- They live their passions and have the courage of their convictions. They don’t slow down on their actions because others think their passions are pointless or invaluable.
- They do not stop believing in themselves. They understand what makes them tick and are not afraid to show others who they are and they are comfortable being themselves.
- They have enough confidence in themselves to take chances on love. They face the possibility because they know they bring to the table something unique and special.
- They can say, “No”. They have learned that always saying, “Yes” opens the possibility that people will take advantage of them. Saying, “No” teaches the world that it doesn’t control them.
- They look forward to what each day holds and are thankful for all that they are and all that they have.
- They don’t try to intimidate because that would mean that they are overcompensating for a lack of confidence.
- They don’t need to be the center of attention and they don’t need to be recognized for their good deeds. They are confident in their self-worth.
- They give back and they pay it forward because they appreciate what they have and who they are. They empathize with those who are not in as favorable positions as they are.
- They are comfortable in their own skins and they are independent. They don’t try to fit in because they are confident in who they are.
- They try to make time for what they love. They do what they have to do in order to bring them closer to doing what they love to do.
- They are not afraid of being alone or having little action in their lives. They are content with, living and breathing and being.
- They understand that they are in control of their own happiness.
- They understand that their emotions are reactions to what they perceive reality to be and they remain aware of that fact.
So where are you? Are your emotions helping or hindering your relationships and your success? Do you have emotional strength? Would you like to gain more emotional strength?
Photo: Davide Fiume